Thursday, May 31, 2007

Happiness

It was the 163rd night of my Sophomore year in High School, after sitting through seven classes, completing a project during lunch, lifting weights, going to work, attending leadership training at a program called Civil Air Patrol, along with only a 'few' other activities, when I finally asked myself the question on everyone's mind "Why?" Why do I do this? Why do stay up late doing homework when everyone else is asleep because I had to work all night? Why do I spend my weekends training other perspective leaders in CAP, going to work, and studying for exams when everyone else is partying? Why do I work when everyone else is having fun? Well the one thing that separates me from everyone else pondering that question is that I came up with an answer with which I am satisfied:
"The ultimate happiness can only be found in achieving greatness."

That is my philosophy in a nutshell, or rather, quotes. :) However, I have a much more detailed explanation which I invite you to read.

First, let me send a message to everyone that is partying while they should be working, to everyone that is watching television when they should be studying, to everyone that is having fun while they procrastinate the inevitable work that lies before every growing young man and women. What will happen tomorrow? Did you ever think about it? Will you be happy tomorrow? Will your party, or your television show, or your fun be with you tomorrow? Probably NOT. Ever wonder why you should work when you could be having fun? This is probably the point in time when you decided to go to the party instead of staying home and studying or adding extra hours to your work schedule.

This message is for anyone who thinks I make maybe just a little bit of sense at this point: I go to sleep at night happy because I know I did the best I could for the day and I wake up in the morning happy because I know that I am ready to do my best again today. Now, nobody is perfect and I certainly do not claim to be happy every night or morning, but wouldn't this be a great philosophy to live by?

There is just something about the feeling of accomplishment that makes you smile. This smile can last an eternity if you truly do your best work at all times. If you truly do your best, you will be happy. There will be a time to have fun and you will know when it is, but when that times has passed will you still be happy because you know that you deserve that time. Even the lord himself waited until after six hard days of creating the heaven and the earth before he rested. The bible tells us this and if you do not believe in the lord, at least understand that the bible is one of the greatest leadership manuals ever written. But to get back on subject...

Many people go through trials of happiness and trails of depression, some more than others. Think about how often you are happy (and when) and how often you are depressed (and when) and how often you work hard (and when) and how often you skip the work to have fun (and when). Do they relate? After thinking about this, wouldn't it make sense to do more of that which makes you happy? Parties last one night, work lasts one eternity. What do you remember about all the parties you went to? What do you remember about all the work you've done? Which makes you most proud? Which puts the biggest smile on your face knowing that you made life a little easier for yourself the next day?

I know, for myself, looking back on all the work I have done and all the work I will do, I am proud. This puts the biggest smile on my face and makes me happy at any moments in time because I know that the work I have done will always be remembered and it will help me in the future to become successful. But, not until I achieve greatness, will I be the happiest man on earth.

Think about this, and if you read any of my future posts, think about everything I say. It may seem like random bits of ideas floating around in my head, which it is, but once you piece it all together, it may help. Remember, I am not here to tell you how to live your life, only to tell you how you have already lived it; therefore, think not of what you will do in the future, think of how this relates to what you have done in the past and use that knowledge to help you when you come to a similar decision again.